Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Kraft Macaroni and Cheese



Whether you eat it plain, with character pasta or with some sweet, juicy bits of hot dog, I'm willing to bet that if you are reading this post you have eaten a fair bit of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese.   This cheap meal has fed millions of economically conscientious (read poor) college students.  I have eaten more than my fair share of the neon orange pasta dish in my lifetime.  Truly we owe a debt that cannot be repaid to the man who brought this dish over to America.  Turns out every Louisianan has this man to thank for their being citizens of the United States as well.

Yikes...I think he liked mac-n-cheese a bit too much.
That's right Thomas Jefferson, the man who graces the nickels I used to scrounge up in order to pay for my macaroni and cheese is responsible for bring the dish he loved so dearly from France to the United States.  The scribe of the Declaration of Independence loved the dish so much, he had it served at the state dinner in 1802.

Over 100 years after the passing of the founding father of convenient past dishes, Kraft introduced the first mass market version of macaroni and cheese.  First released in 1937 the dish which could feed four for 19 cents, was a godsend to a United States caught in the throw of the Great Depression.  It has been successful ever since, and has become a mainstay of American and to a much larger extent Canadian cuisine.  Seriously, our neighbors to the north love the dish so much they call it Kraft Dinner.  As if a fancier name could mask the depressing fact that your poor life choices have led you to the point where you are stirring in milk and butter with the surely carcinogenic signature Kraft orange powder and pasta at 1:23 AM in an effort to fuel your brain for the final paper that is due in less than seven hours.

You stay classy, Canada.





If you enjoyed this article be sure to like and/or share it on Facebook, Google +, and Twitter.  Please feel free to follow this blog so you will never miss a Fun Fact of the Day!

Do you like video games from the 90s?  Check out my YouTube Channel  where I post videos exploring the totally rad games of the past! In fact I am currently doing a Nuzlocke Challenge of Pokemon Yellow...Check it out here!

For all things 90s related and beyond be sure check out my other blog at www.theninetieskid.com

If you like what you read/saw please take a moment to like me on Facebook  and follow me on Twitter!

No comments:

Post a Comment