Friday, August 8, 2014

Mighty Morphin' (Gender Confused) Power Rangers



Power Rangers was an essential staple in the 90s kid's lineup of television shows he or she watched regularly.  Of course I look back on the show now and I chuckle at how I was constantly surprised by what happened on the show.




I had this reaction at least once per episode.  "Putties?!  I did not see that coming!"


Every episode is the exact same plot: The kids are hanging out at school or the juice bar when all of a sudden Putties show up and Gordon calls them into action.  The rangers fight them without their powers, become overwhelmed, morph and then finally mop up the ridiculously pathetic goons.  After that the goat looking dude who is part of Rita's entourage makes a monster out of clay-- an action which I must assume is some veiled symbolism of God creating man out of clay, for is not man a monster?  The monster fights the rangers as normal size, then he grows to gigantic proportions-- why they didn't make the monster big in the first place is beyond me-- and finally the rangers call on their Voltron Zords to defeat the monster.  The end.  Th only reason that worked is because I was a kid.  And I was stupid.  Because kids are stupid.  If they weren't there would not have been a Cars 2 or Planes: Fire and Rescue.




Maybe if you didn't do the same thing every time, you might actually be able to beat the Power Rangers


Anyway, now that I've simultaneously offended every Power Rangers fan and parent, I want to get to the point of this fun fact.  Have you ever noticed that the Pink Ranger (aka Kimberly Hart, aka the first woman to make me feel things I never had before) has an outfit with a skirt while the yellow ranger, who is also a woman, does not?  As many of you know, Power Rangers was based on a Japanese show called Super Sentai.  In order to save on costs Saban spliced footage of the American teens out of costume with the action footage from Super Sentai.  In the Japanese version only the Pink Ranger was a girl, so the Yellow Ranger had no skirt as it would have been weird for a guy to wear a skirt (It was the 90s, we were a lot less sensitive to transgender people).  When the show came over to America they wanted more of a female presence so they simply switched the Yellow Ranger's gender to a, how show I put this delicately? The changed the Yellow Ranger to a boobless chick and hoped that the aforementioned stupid kids would not notice.  But this 90s kid did.




Well, now I know what that weird  bulge was all these years.




If you enjoyed this article be sure to like and/or share it on Facebook, Google +, and Twitter.  Please feel free to follow this blog so you will never miss a Fun Fact of the Day!

Do you like video games from the 90s?  Check out my YouTube Channel  where I post videos exploring the totally rad games of the past! In fact I am currently doing a Nuzlocke Challenge of Pokemon Yellow...Check it out here!

For all things 90s related and beyond be sure check out my other blog at www.theninetieskid.com

If you like what you read/saw please take a moment to like me on Facebook  and follow me on Twitter!


No comments:

Post a Comment